Friday, June 1, 2012

Ask Anything: Introductions

Dear Ladyparts Readers,

Hello there!  My name is Everyone's Yvonne, and I was recruited to JANAH's lovely brainchild to write the Ask Anything column.

A little about me.  I am a certified birth doula and a trained full-spectrum doula, meaning I support anyone through any pregnancy outcome.  I will be taking the IBLCE exam this summer, after which point I will hopefully be a board-certified lactation consultant as well!

But don't let that scare you.  I can answer more than just pregnancy/breastfeeding questions.  I've been called a "relationship doula" by more than one friend, and I have experience in sexual health education even though I don't have a fancy certification to go with it. I'm also very well-connected in this field... in other words, if there's a question I can't answer, I probably know someone I can.

Before we begin, I want to lay down some ground rules, mostly for me so you all know what you can expect from me:
  • I will answer every question in a completely honest and non-judgmental manner.  Okay, this is OMG Ladyparts!, so I may venture a giggle if your question is really funny.  But I will laugh respectively.  I grew up sneaking downstairs to watch "Love Line" on MTV and was always put off by the way the hosts treated the callers.  I strive to be less Dr. Drew and more Sue Johanson.
  • As I previously stated, I do not have a fancy-schmancy credential that makes me supposedly "qualified" to answer questions about sex, relationships, pregnancy, other issues.  That being said, I do have a load of experience giving what has been described as "solid, unbiased advice," and unlike the majority of the world (it seems), I know how to tell the difference between good research and bad research.  Every question will be thoroughly researched, citations and/or links to additional resources included.
  • Your question will be copy/pasted as written in your submission.  I will not copy email addresses, user names, etc. We probably won't even know your username unless you include it in your form response.
  • If this column becomes really popular, I will not complain.  But I might take a minute to get your answer.  Don't panic.  
Now let's get to it!  Use the form on the sidebar on the right to submit a question. 
Love-
e.y.


No comments:

Post a Comment